Welcome to the Health Office
Mrs. Dawn Liberti, R.N. email@example.com
The Hamburg School District offers its students many health services:
- Hearing test
- Vision test
- Height and Weight
- Color perception test (Kindergarten, New Entrants)
- Scoliosis screening (Grade 5 - Girls)
- Physical Examination- New York State Education Law requires a physical exam for all students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11, as well as new students. A standard Health Appraisal Form must be completed by your physician and can be downloaded from the Hamburg site.
Cumulative Health Record
A confidential health record is maintained on each child indicating his/her medical history and immunization dates. All findings from screening procedures are required on the student's health record. Please help us keep the record up to date by notifying the Health Office if there is any change in your child's health status, recent immunizations, surgery, etc. This record is transferred onto each school your child will be attending.
Notification to Parents
Following all screening procedures which include scoliosis,hearing, vision and color perception testing, and physical examinations, parents are notified by phone or letter of any problems detected and are counseled regarding medical follow-up.
Requirements for School Attendance - Immunization
Under section 2164 of the New York State Public Health Law, all children attending a school, a day care center, or a preschool program, must be immunized against Diphtheria, Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, (MMR), Hepatitis B, and Varicella. Minimum requirements include:
- Five doses of Diphtheria Toxoid (DTaP, DTP)
- Four doses of Polio (IPV)
- Two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
- Three doses of Hepatitis
- Two doses of Varicella
Students entering sixth grade must receive a Tdap booster immunization.
Please do not send medications of any kind to school with your child. No medications (including Tylenol and cough drops) may be given during school hours, unless you comply with the following regulations of the New York State Law:
1. A written order from the doctor, indicating the name, frequency and dosage of the medication.
2. Medication properly labeled in its original container, must be dropped off to the Health Office by an adult. Do not send in medication with a child.
Attendance records are kept on all students. If your child is absent from school, a written excuse must be brought to the nurse stating the reason for his/her absence. All excuses are kept on file as required by State Law.
When your child is going to be absent, please call 646-3240, Menu Option #2 (24 hr. voice mail) and leave your child's name, reason for absence, and the teacher's name. A written note needs to be sent to school when your child returns from illness and for late arrivals.
All Health Office Forms can be downloaded from the Hamburg District Website including Health Appraisal, Dental Examination, and Medication.
For additional information, please call to request a “PARENTS' GUIDE TO HEALTH SERVICES.”
“You cannot educate a child who is not healthy and you cannot keep a child healthy who is not educated.”
Former US Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders