I. Course title: ECC HT 101/ College Health
II. Instructors: Hamburg High School Health Department
Mrs. Sally Couzens
Mrs. Doreen Morris
III. Contact Information: School Phone Number: 646-3300
IV. Required Texts/ Course Materials:
Insel, P. and Roth, W., Core Concepts in Health, McGraw Hill, 12th Edition, 2009, ISBN – 10:0077345533; ISBN – 13:978-0077345532.
American Heart Association, Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook, First American Heart Association Printing, 2011, ISBN-978-1-61669-017-5.
Pocket folder Lined Paper
School Planner Pen/Pencil
$2 for CPR Face Shield $2 if you want a CPR card
V. Course Description:
Life Skills is a course designed to provide a broad spectrum of information in the areas of health and wellness. Upon course completion, the student will be able to distinguish and discuss health concerns related to personal lives, community and the environment.
VI. Course Objectives: Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
· Seek out, utilize, and evaluate reliable sources of information related to health and wellness.
· Describe terminology utilized in various areas of health and wellness
· Distinguish and discuss health concerns related to personal lives, community, and environmental issues.
· Obtain certification in American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR and AED certification
· Understand and incorporate safe driving practices (texting, drinking, etc)
· Fulfill the requirements of the New York State Parenting Education Mandat
VII. Testing/Means of Evaluation:
CPR and AED written and Practical exams
Written final exam
VIII. Grading Determination:
Quarter Grades: Final Average:
Assignments 60% Quarter grades each worth 2/5 of final average+++
Tests and quizzes 40% Final Exam is worth 1/5 of grade
IX. Attendance Requirements:
“Credit denial will result when a student exceeds six unexcused absences in a semester course.”
–Hamburg High School Attendance Policy
X. Classroom rules:
Respect others and your surroundings
Be on time
Do your homework
No phones/IPods in class during instruction
No food or drinks in the classroom (Water is fine)
Upon successful completion of this course, students may be eligible to obtain 3 elective college credits through our Advanced Studies program with Erie Community College.
Student Signature: _______________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: ________________________________________________