Dear CAS Families,
Welcome back to the start of the school-year. We are very excited for this year to begin because we have many fantastic plans for this year. I hope you and your family had a wonderful summer with many great memories. My family and I were able to complete several home projects and found some time to visit family out of town on a few long weekend trips. I love spending time with my family!
I know that the start of the school-year there are a lot of feelings of excitement and anticipation of what’s to come. Many aspects of the school day will be familiar to your child, however there are several new faces on staff at CAS this year. Joining our staff from Union Pleasant is Andrea Czerwinski as our social worker, Carol Zwolski as our computer aide; Debra Vertoske will share her time with us from Union Pleasant as our band teacher as will Jennifer Haag as our orchestra teacher. New to the district is Jaqueline Gould as our general music teacher. CAS is very happy to welcome these wonderful teachers to our building
As some of you might recall last year the district underwent a major study into two different math programs. The purpose was to review, in depth, two highly respected math programs and to determine which program had the greatest impact on our student achievement. The time was well spent and as a result we determined that the math program, Expressions was the right choice for Hamburg. As a result all students, kindergarten through 5th grade will use this program. During our Parent Information Night, on September 11th, you will learn more about this program and how you can support your child at home.
In addition to some new faces at CAS, as well as the adoption of a new math program, the district has made some improvements to our safety procedures for entering any district building as well as a review, which resulted in some changes for arrival and dismissal procedures, across the district. At CAS you will see that there are a few more staff members outside maintaining a safe environment for our students as they arrive and leave school. Please help us ensure that all safety procedures are maintained by doing the following:
1. Be prepared to show government ID each and every time you or any guest plan on entering the building. In addition to showing ID all guests to the building will have to state the specific purpose of their visit before entering the building to gain access.
2. As always there is no stopping or parking on Charlotte Ave so students are not allowed to be dropped off in front of the school. As with all school zones the speed limit is 15 mph, so please go slow.
3. If you need to drop off your child at school you will need to pull up to the side door by the cafeteria. A staff member will greet your child at the door. Students cannot be dropped off along the sidewalk by the driveway.
4. To pick up a child from school a parent must park their car in the lot and walk to the front of the school to walk their child to the car through the parking lot. Students should NOT ever go into the parking lot looking for their ride.
5. Kindergarten students will continue to need an adult to pick them up at dismissal. The difference is the meeting place will take place outside in the front of the school. Mrs. McWatters will meet her families on the ramp of the front entrance and Mrs. Quill will meet her families to the left of the ramp on the stairs. It is extremely important that an authorized person is at the school on time at 2:20. Kindergarten students are released 5 minutes early to allow for a smoother transition.
6. Please remember that dogs are not allowed on school property.
7. Finally, do not open the doors for anyone once you have been granted access to the building. Each person has to be admitted by school personnel only.
If you are a parent of a PreK student please look for a separate news letter to explain the changes that were made to our arrival and pick up procedures.
I speak on behalf of the entire staff as I say how much we truly appreciate all of your support. The CAS community is very special group. We love being here and look forward to another amazing year. Hopefully, we will see you at the annual PTSA Welcome Back picnic on September 5th at 5:30. Every year we have a huge turn-out and beautiful weather. Don’t miss this fun filled evening!
Our Parent Information Night will take place on September 11th. The agenda is:
Kindergarten- Level 2 6:30-6:55
Principal’s Message 7:00-7:15
Levels 3-5 7:20-7:45
The Parent Information Night is for parents only, children do not attend. Please meet in your child’s classroom for the teacher’s portion and my presentation will take place in the auditorium. We are looking forward to sharing with you all that is in store for you and your child this year.
Mrs. Danielle Lango