The Distinguished Learner Challenge!
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to complete as many of the challenges listed below.
For every challenge that you accurately complete and hand in, you will earn a star to place upon our distinguished learner chart. Once you earn ten stars, your name will be added to our Distinguished Learner wall and website!
1. Each challenge should be completed on it's own sheet of paper.
2. The challenge subject and number both must be clearly marked.
3. A parent or guardian must sign each challenge before it is turned in.
*These apply to all challenges except the wiki challenges*
Language Arts Challenges
1. List 10 common nouns and 10 proper nouns.
2. List 20 verbs.
3. List 20 adjectives.
4. Read a fictional story and complete a story map.
5. Write 15 statements (telling sentences).
6. Write 15 questions.
7. Write 15 commands.
8. Write 15 exclamations.
9. List 10 pairs of synonyms (same).
10. List 10 pairs of antonyms (opposites).
11. List 5 pairs of homonyms and write a sentence for each word. (10 sentences total).
12. Write 15 contractions and the two words that make them up.
13. Write the months in ABC order.
14. Cut out 20 words from a magazine/newspaper that have a silent final e (dime, name, tube…)
15. Cut out 10 words from a magazine/newspaper that describe a setting (outside, spring, in the house…)
16. List five words for each of the /er/ sounds (ir, er, ur and ear). You should have 20 total words.
17. Write a rhyming poem with at least eight lines.
18. Write a topic paragraph about an animal. Include a main idea and at least four supporting/detail sentences.
19. Read a story and write a summary for it.
20. Write 10 words that have every letter in ABC order. (example: elm, bet)
21. List 20 things that fit in the category of, "Things that Roll".
22. List 10 ways you could use a piece of string (be creative).
23. Write a list of at least 10 animals. Each animal you list must begin with the last letter of the previous animal. You may not use an animal more than once in your list. (example: gorilla-ape-eagle)
24. Read a book. Write and answer 5 comprehension questions.
25. Make a list of 10 words that describe you.
26. Count and write by 2s up to 100.
27. Count and write by 3s up to 99.
28. Count and write by 4s up to 100.
29. Count and write by 5s up to 100.
30. Show 10 ways to make 10 by adding.
31. Show 10 ways to make 10 by subtracting.
32. Draw coins to show five different ways to make $1.00.
33. Draw coins to show five different ways to make $1.50.
34. Write and solve three addition word problems.
35. Write and solve three subtraction word problems.
36. Draw 20 children standing in a line. Label each child with the correct written ordinal number (first, second, etc).
37. Put these numbers in order: 645, 564, 465, 654, 546 and 246.
38. Measure and draw/label 10 things in your house using inches.
39. Find and list things that are the same shape as: cone, sphere, rectangular prism and cube. List two for each shape.
40. Draw the lines of symmetry for the capital alphabet.
41. Think of all the people and animals in your house. Draw a picture to show how many legs are in your house. Write the addition problem.
42. List 5 things that take 1 minute to do, 5 things that take 15 minutes to do and 5 things that take 1 hour to do.
43. Make up 5 word problems that use time.
44. Pick five objects to measure with an inch ruler. Measure and record the objects. Put the objects in order from shortest to longest.
45. Draw a plant and label the four main parts.
46. Draw and label a plant's life cycle.
47. Name and illustrate 10 types of plants.
48. List all the planets in the usual order they are from the sun.
49. Name one fact about each planet.
50. Compare and contrast day and night. Use a Venn diagram.
51. Name, describe and draw a picture of three types of clouds. Click here for help.
52. Name and illustrate 5 types of weather.
53. Name the four stages of the water cycle. Make a diagram with labels to show the cycle.Click here for help.
54. List ten things that can are smooth.
55. List ten things that are soft.
56. List and draw 10 living and 10 nonliving things.
57. Name and draw 10 reptiles.
58. Name and draw 10 mammals.
59. Draw and label the life cycle of a butterfly. Explain what happens in each stage. Click here for help.
60. Name and illustrate 5 types of animal habitats.
Social Studies Challenges
61. Draw the American flag and write about how many stars and stripes there are.
62. Turn in a picture of New York's state flag and bird.
63. Put the names of the 7 continents and the four oceans in ABC order.
64. Print a map of the world. Label the 7 continents and the 4 oceans. Click here for a map.
65. Write all 50 states in ABC order. Click here for help.
66. Name all of the presidents in order.
67. Name and describe 5 American holidays.
68. List and illustrate three community laws.
69. List and illustrate 5 community workers and describe what they do.
70. Create a map of your neighborhood or a made up neighborhood. Make sure you include a map key.
71. Write a paragraph explaining why you are happy to live in America.
72. List 5 great inventions and the inventors who created them.