LEVEL 5 Health Curriculum
ABDUCTION (Safety): New York State Mandate (4 days of instruction, 5th day test).
- Vocabulary words: Abduction, Kidnapping, Ransom. Lures, Exploited and Predator.
- The history and purpose of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
- The history of the Amber Alert and Megan's Law, and who were these children.
- What to do if they were ever grabbed, to trust their "gut feelings."
CHILD ABUSE: New York State Mandate (4 days of instruction, 5th day test).
- Abuse is a cycle and will continue until it stops.
- How does it stop? By telling a trusted adult.
- Reasons why people abuse their child.
- Sexual, Physical, Verbal and Neglect are reviewed along with Mental and Emotional abuse.
- Steps to be taken when a child is abused. Say no, get away, tell and be believed.
- Reinforced that it is never the child's fault.
ALCOHOL (8 days of instruction, 9th day test).
- Two (2) types of alcohol and examples of each.
- The involvement of the central nervous system.
- Reasons why adults and kids drink.
- Six (6) factors that cause a person to become drunk.
- How to find out the % of alcohol.
- Effects of alcohol use on the body in a short term vs. long term.
- Years of addiction.
- Vocabulary words.
- Three (3) stages of alcoholism.
- Why alcoholism is a family disease and the different types of support groups.
DRUGS (e-cigarettes, vaporizers, pot, tobacco)
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT (9 days of instruction, 10th day the test)
*boys and girls are separated for instruction*
- The following handouts will be provided to Level 5 girls.
- The following handouts will be provided to Level 5 boys.
- Prior to instruction, classroom rules are given:
- if students are uncomfortable when asked a question, they have the right to "pass" on any questions.
- index cards are provided for students to write down a question, if they have any questions they are not comfortable asking in class.
- appropriate questions are answered, but only when pertaining to material covered in Level 5.
- A test is given after days of instruction.
*all materials are taught with professionalism and sensitivity; the dignity of each student is provided.
For any questions or concerns, please contact me: email@example.comIt is the parent/guardians responsibilty to contact the classroom teacher if you DO NOT want your child to participate in this unit.