LEVEL 5 Health Curriculum
ABDUCTION (Safety): New York State Mandate (4 days of instruction, 5th day test).
- Vocabulary words: Abduction, Kidnapping, Ransom. Lures, Exploited and Predator.
- The history and purpose of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
- The history of the Amber Alert and Megan's Law, and who were these children.
- What to do if they were ever grabbed, to trust their "gut feelings."
CHILD ABUSE: New York State Mandate (4 days of instruction, 5th day test).
- Abuse is a cycle and will continue until it stops.
- How does it stop? By telling a trusted adult.
- Reasons why people abuse their child.
- Sexual, Physical, Verbal and Neglect are reviewed along with Mental and Emotional abuse.
- Steps to be taken when a child is abused. Say no, get away, tell and be believed.
- Reinforced that it is never the child's fault.
HIV/AIDS: New York State Mandate (5 days of instruction, 6th day test).
- Review of germs, communicable/non-communicable ways germs are spread and hand washing.
- The immune system and review of each of the cells and their specific jobs.
- Vocabulary words: Immune, Deficiency, Acquired and Syndrome.
- Three (3) stages of HIV/AIDS.
- Four (4) ways of contracting HIV/AIDS: 1. Blood to blood. 2. Dirty drug needles or IV drug use (included in this are tattoos and body piercings. 3. Mother to child. 4. Sexual contact.
- Discussion of the fastest and the most common way of contracting the disease.
- The meaning of discrimination - that it is against the law to discriminate if there is a disease involved.
- History of Ryan White
ALCOHOL (8 days of instruction, 9th day test).
- Two (2) types of alcohol and examples of each.
- The involvement of the central nervous system.
- Reasons why adults and kids drink.
- Six (6) factors that cause a person to become drunk.
- How to find out the % of alcohol.
- Effects of alcohol use on the body in a short term vs. long term.
- Years of addiction.
- Vocabulary words.
- Three (3) stages of alcoholism.
- Why alcoholism is a family disease and the different types of support groups.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT:(9 days of instruction, 10th day the test)Information Night presenting the curriculum toPARENTS/GUARDIANS ONLYin September at the Pleasant CafeteriaUnion Pleasant Elementary School150 Union Street
A permission slip, along with the specifics for theInformation Night is mailed to all Level 5 parents/guardians in the districtat the beginning of the school year.
Boys and girls are in separate groups for the instruction.