Hamburg High School Laboratory Policy for Regents Science Courses
1. Students are responsible for all of the laboratory work conducted during the course. Lab grades make up a part of each quarter grade.
2. Students must have a minimum of 30 satisfactory written laboratory reports (1200 minutes) on file in order to be allowed admittance to that course's Regents examination.
3. The criteria for a satisfactory laboratory report are:
- The student must attend and participate in the lab activity.
- The laboratory report must be complete.
- Diagrams and/or graphs must be completed and labeled as required.
- All calculations must be shown.
- Complete sentences must be used to answer questions when so indicated.
- Answers to questions must show effort on the part of the student and demonstrate an understanding of the purpose of the lab activity.
4. A student who misses a laboratory activity for any reason must make arrangements to make up that lab activity immediately upon his/her return to class. Any lab activity not made up within two weeks after the student's return can no longer be made up and a zero will be assigned for the lab.
5. Laboratory reports will not be accepted beyond the end of the marking period in which they are due.
6. A letter describing this policy will be sent home to the parent/guardian of each student enrolled in a Regents Science class at the beginning of the school year.
7. Letters will be sent home every quarter to the parent/ guardian of students who are deficient in their lab work informing them of the deficiency.