What is Family and Consumer Sciences?FACS is an academic discipline that combines aspects of social and natural science. Family and consumer sciences deals with the relationship between individuals, families, and communities, and the environment in which they live. The field represents many disciplines including consumer science, nutrition, parenting, family economics and resource management, human development, interior design, textiles, apparel design, as well as other related subjects. Our goal is to educate students to think constructively, make sound decisions, solve problems, and manage resources. FACS supports the New York State Learning Standards taught in the academic disciplines of Math, Science, Technology, English, Language Arts, Social Studies, Languages Other Than English, and the Arts by providing real-world opportunities in which to apply the key ideas and skills taught in those course...
Applying Knowledge in Real Life SituationsTo reach Mrs GundE-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTo reach Mrs SmithE-mail: email@example.com
School Phone Number: 646-3250 ext 120 OR 124
At the end of the quarter
NEW YORK STATE LEARNING STANDARDSHEALTH, PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND FAMILY AND CONSUMER SCIENCES
1. Students will have the necessary knowledge and skills to maintain personal health and fitness.
2. Students will acquire the knowledge and ability necessary to create and maintain a safe and healthy environment.
3. Students will understand and be able to mange their personal and community resources.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND OCCUPATIONAL STUDIES
1. Students will be knowledgeable about the world of work, explore career options and relate personal skills, aptitudes and abilities to future career decisions.
2. Students will demonstrate how academic knowledge and skills are applied in the workplace and other settings.
3. Students will demonstrate mastery of the foundation skills and competencies essential for success in the workplace.